Why No One Gives A Shit About Old-School Death Metal Bands Anymore



Over the past year and a half I've gotten heavily into old-school death metal from the late 80s/early 90's. Reasoning: shit today is starting to sound too over produced, and all alike. Granted I'm sure some outsider could say the same about the genre I just mentioned, but thats another story.

For example, everyone knows the cliche, yet still amazing old school albums like Altars Of Madness, Left Hand Path, Leprosy, etc., etc. On the bottom is a pretty well known old-school album, while the top is the opposite. Cross The Styx is a fucking amazing album, and is commonly overlooked when people try to make "essential death metal" lists.

The point I'm trying to make is this: even though an album from this genre is well known, people still don't seem to give a shit about these bands anymore, and it's quite sad. These bands have influenced so many bands we've grown to love today. I've noticed that a lot of these bands have gotten back together in the past year or so (Gorguts, Atheist, Pestilence). Pestilence is the only band in the lot that has released a new album, their first in 13 or 14 years, and I think it sold 5 copies. I go to old band's myspaces and I rarely see them breaking the 500,000 margin. I can maybe understand Pestilence because they were broken up for so long, but even Deicide/Malevolent Creation, who both have released steady albums have terrible play counts. I'm sure this has something to do with the whole deathcore scene today, and no one knowing shit about music anymore.

But, the band I noticed that has the most was Suffocation, and I think this is because of the fact that they've been touring a lot more recently, headlining festivals etc. It makes me wonder why no one seems to care about these bands anymore. Some of the shit these bands were making in the late 80s/early 90s was amazing and way ahead of it's time, and it's a bummer that a lot of these albums are completely overlooked in the favor of super-produced chug chug bree bree shit that all sounds the same.

In fact, I think the reason a lot of newer kids like Suffocation so much is because of their breakdowns which influenced the shit out of so many newer bands, but they aren't nearly recognized for it.

Comments

Popular Posts